The preparation that goes into our beautiful day!
Its YOUR beautiful day! You’ve chosen your date, but what’s next? Making decisions about whether to have a registrar or a Celebrant-led wedding, which venue, what food, the list goes on! The décor, the music, the flowers, the bridesmaids and groomsmen, their outfits, a wedding dress!
There are so many to choose from and don’t get us going on what suits your shape better or whether it’s sequins or lace, low waisted or high waisted! And then there’s skincare leading up to the day, engagement parties, pre-wedding parties, rehearsals, hairstyles, make-up, manicures, shoes, and feet.
Say what? Feet?
Yes, Feet! Oh! Your poor Beautiful feet!
Your feet are going to have to carry you throughout the day! They are going to walk you down the aisle. They are going to stand you up whilst you meet and greet your guests, They are going to hold you up for the photos. They will take you on your first dance. They will carry you off on your honeymoon.
And very often they will do all of this in those beautiful designer shoes, that looked gorgeous with the dress when you tried them on for all of 10 minutes in the shop!
Here at Your Beautiful Day UK, we work with you from top to bottom, we know every aspect of what can make, or break a wedding. Your feet are one of the most important parts of your big day and yet they are usually the most neglected. And, trust us, a pedicure is not going to be enough to get you through!
No one wants to limp their way down the aisle or have blisters the day after. Or realise that that whilst your nails look beautiful, they are a little too long to fit into those Louboutin’s!
And what happens when your photographer decides that on your beautiful sunny day a fabulous shot would be you and your new husband on the grass, shoes kicked off, sun shining down on you both, looking out over the water, and your cracked heels are on show!
When it comes to footwear, for our wedding, we often pick fashion over form and fit and that is understandable, we want to finish the outfit with the equivalent of Cinderella’s glass slipper! So what can we do beforehand and on the day to help?
We recommend you visit a podiatrist. No? They are for people with foot problems, aren’t they? Not always!
Finding a forward-thinking podiatrist who understands what your feet are about to go through, could be one of the best decisions you can make for your feet before your big day.
And not just for you, for your wedding party and your groom too. Imagine all having your feet treated, your nails done, your hard skin softened and your cracked heels made to disappear!
A great podiatrist will also be able to recommend the best silicones, shoe paddings, and shoe hacks to get you through the day too so you are not limping your way to the honeymoon suite!
Choose the perfect time to treat your feet! Aim to have three sessions, the first time you should start your sole pampering is about two months before your big day and then a month before and again a couple of days before. Not only will you get some well-earned rest for aching legs, which can be a highly emotional and physical drain, just at the time when you need your energy to be at its peak, you may also be able to choose from warm wax soothing therapy, therapeutic foot massage and soaks.
And yet, if you can’t face having someone else mess with your feet here are ten top tips from us on how to get be sweet to your feet before your big day!
- Treat your feet the same way you would any other part of your body! Exfoliate! Wash them daily and use a scrub!
- Tackle any stubborn build-up of dead skin! There are ways to do this yourself. Massage the scrub into your feet after the shower, wrap them and leave them for 10 minutes, then use a pumice stone to work the callouses, wash and pat dry.
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise, sorry did we say that a lot… moisturise! Like our lips, our feet sometimes get forgotten, really concentrate on getting that moisturiser into your feet after showering.
- Give your nails a break! Try not to wear any nail varnish for a couple of weeks before the big day, give your nails some air. If they are looking a little discoloured, a little yellow, apply a fungal nail solution.
- Help your heels! Give your soles and heels a bit of a spa day! Soaking them in warm water with lavender oil or Epsom salt for 10 minutes (or more if you want) and then working some of the rougher areas with a pumice stone, delicately, will help those heels, especially if you finish off by patting dry and … moisturising!
- Use cuticle cream on a regular basis!
- Exercise your toes and wiggle your feet and ankles. We tend to keep them still when we are sat or cross our ankles, so let’s exercise our feet! There are 26 bones in the foot and more than 100 muscles, tendons, and ligaments working together. Let’s get them prepared for the big event!
- On the lead up to your day, if it’s summer, make sure when you’re applying sunscreen you’re getting your toes and feet covered too and think about the shoes you are wearing in the here and now, think tan lines and wedding shoes if you are going bare-legged on your day!
- If it’s winter think about starting to build up on the summer glow moisturiser, even if you’re wearing stockings on the day, if you’re going to be on the beach on your honeymoon it will be nice to have a healthy glow all over, including your feet, once you are out of your wedding dress!
- Wear your wedding shoes in the house whenever you can before the big day! Don’t just buy those shoes, look at them and love them, get used to them, walk around in them and break them in! You are going to be in them for a long time on the day!
So there you have it! A guide to keeping your feet sweet and we didn’t even mention the pedicure!